How to renew expired passport – Complete Guide to Renew Your Expired Passport


Requesting for a new passport or passport renewal is as easy as (steps) 1, 2, 3. You can now conveniently get an appointed date, time at any of DFA’s two hubs- their main office in Macapagal Boulevard & 7th floor of SM Megamall.

DFA Consular Office in Macapagal

My passport & Mama’s will expire on February 2013 and because passports unofficially expire 6 months before their actual expiration, we will not be able to join our family for our Hong Kong trip this November if we’re still carrying our old passport so we have to renew it before our scheduled vacation. My first experience of applying a passport was of the year 2008 at DFA’s old office where it’s disorganized & chaotic so basing on my past experience the new process is better. 

In renewing your passport one should first set an appointment thru DFA’s Passport Application Appointment System at All information you need is indicated in this website so you have to carefully read everything if you wish to have a smooth sailing  passport processing.

In the website there’s a Set An Appointment tab. Here, you will type all personal information they need- you should not leave any blank, then you will be asked to choose the date and time of your preferred appointment. You can also choose the Family Application Form if you want to have the same schedule with any of your family members

Here are the general requirements:

1. Personal appearance- no escorts allowed.

2. Confirmed appointment or the printed copy of the application form in long bond paper- without this you cannot go inside the DFA building.

3. Old passport, photocopy of pages 1, 2, 3 (amendment), last page & the pages showing the latest Bureau of Immigration departure and arrival stamps. 

4. Valid picture IDs and supporting document to prove identity.

5. No need for a passport ID picture.

All these information are indicated in the website so I really suggest to run through it for assurance.

My application form, old passport, photocopy of passport pages & NSO

I scheduled our appointment in the morning because I have work in the afternoon. My mama & I were at the DFA Consular Office 30 minutes before the scheduled appointment because late comers will not be entertained. 

STEP 1: Passport Processing Section

inside the airconditioned processing section

We presented our application form at the Appointment Counter then we are asked to sit at the waiting section of the Processing Area. There was a long queue of people but the processing is a bit fast kaya hindi naman kami nainip. Here, you can review, correct & complete your application form. So if you made a mistake on your form, don’t fret as you can correct it while waiting for your turn.

DFA officer checking documents

When it’s my turn, I was asked to go to my designated processing window. Here, officers check all the documents they need, if you lack any document they will ask you to come back once you secure it. If all your documents are complete, they will ask you to proceed to STEP 2-payment of processing fee. 

STEP 2: Payment Section

We proceeded to the Passport Enrollment Section located at the 2nd Floor and paid the due amount.

For regular processing (15 working days): P 950
For express processing (7 working days): P 1,200

Passport fee slip

In our case, we chose the regular processing, after which we were given a queue number for the last step.

STEP 3: Encoding Section

After they gave the queue number, we waited for our numbers to appear on their monitor. This step was the longest waiting time from all the 3 steps which took almost 1 hour for our numbers to be called (I really do hope they do something about this, sayang ang oras ng mga tao)

Data Capturing Process— I was asked to sign, get my thumb prints & encode all general information about me- you should double check the monitor for correction of spelling and information. Also, this was the photo capturing section- no contact lens, no earrings, no showing of teeth & no bangs allowed- kasi daw dapat kita ang eyebrows. My photo was hideous! My first photo was okay na sana but I was asked to take another picture because my teeth were slightly seen on the photo — pangit tuloy passport picture ko *boohooo*

After the Encoding Section, we were asked if we want to avail the delivery option without having to return to DFA on the release date. Thinking that it’s hassle free, we availed it and went to the Delivery Counter to pay P120 for the delivery fee- our passport will be delivered after 16 working days.
The total passport processing time took more or less 3 hours- we were there before 9am then were finished 5 minutes before 12nn.

DFA Consular Office
ASEANA Business Park, Bradco Avenue corner Macapagal Boulevard, Paranaque City

DFA Megamall Consular Office

7th Floor Megamall Building C, EDSA corner J. Vargas Avenue, Mandaluyong City.

The DFA Appointment System is also available via the hotline (02) 737-1000 
from 8:00am — 5:00pm, Monday to Saturday.

How Soon Can I Renew an Expiring US Passport?

International travel requires a valid passport. (Photo: Thinkstock Images/Comstock/Getty Images )

A valid United States passport is required for most international travel by an American citizen. Your passport can be renewed at any time, though the Department of State website suggests renewing it within nine months of the passport expiration date, found on the passport’s data page. Passports for Americans ages 16 and older are valid for 10 years, while those for younger children can be used for five years. Specific renewal requirements vary depending on a variety of factors, including when your passport was issued and your age when you applied for your current passport.

By Mail

Most passports can be renewed by mail at any time during the passport’s validity period, or within five years after your passport has expired. If your current passport is in good condition and able to be submitted with your renewal application, issued after your 16th birthday and within the past 15 years, and has your current legal name on it, you may renew by mail. If the name on your passport does not match your legal name but you can provide legal name change documentation, you also may renew by mail at any time.

In Person

Passport holders seeking to renew a passport that has been lost, stolen or damaged must renew in person. If your most recent passport has not been issued within the past 15 years or it was issued before you turned 16, you also must apply in person at a Passport Acceptance Facility. These passports can be renewed at any time, though the process requires requesting a new passport, and all applicants must complete the same documentation as first-time passport applicants.


Like other passport holders, children may renew a passport at any time, but passports issued before a child’s 16th birthday expire within five years and must be renewed in person at a Passport Acceptance Facility by completing a new passport application form.


Passport processing takes up to 10 weeks during the busier times of year, notes the U.S. Department of State website. Renew your passport well in advance of your travel to ensure you receive it before your trip. Check with the countries you are traveling to if your passport is nearing its expiration date, as some countries require visitors to hold a passport that is valid for at least six months. Americans living outside of the United States and Canada may renew their passport at any time by visiting the nearest United States Embassy or Consulate.

About the Author

Based in Florida, Mandi Titus has been writing since 2002. Her articles have been published on sites such as Goodkin, Go Green Street and Living the Healthy Way. She holds a Bachelor of Science in psychology from Stetson University.

Leaf Group is a USA TODAY content partner providing general travel information. Its content is produced independently of USA TODAY.

Photo Credits
  • Thinkstock Images/Comstock/Getty Images

How Do I Renew My Passport, Which Will Expire in a Couple Weeks, at the Post Office?

(Photo: )

Most Americans have headed to the post office at least once on passport business. You may have picked up a passport application at the post office, had your passport photo taken at a post office or turned in your completed application at the post office. But when it comes time to renew, the only thing you must do at the post office is purchase a stamp and pop the envelope in the mail.

  • Most people can renew a passport application by mail using form DS-82. You fill it out at home, enclose your old passport and a check for the fee, then go to the post office to mail it to the State Department.

Renewing a Passport by Mail

When you get your first passport, it’s a whole-afternoon affair. You can make an appointment at a passport acceptance center, which is usually a local post office. Or you can often just show up and take your chances on the length of the line. The agent will review your proof of identity and citizenship plus the copies you made of those documents. Then she’ll take your photo. Finally, you have to take an oath before signing the application. Once it’s all organized, you decide if you want an expedited passport and pay your total fees. Only then can you say goodbye to the post office.

Renewing a passport is another thing entirely. You simply fill in form DS-82 and mail it, together with your expiring passport, new photos and fees , to the State Department address on the application. All you need to do at the post office is buy a stamp and stick the envelope in the mail.

Can you hand the papers in to a passport acceptance facility? No, you cannot. If you’re renewing a passport using form DS-82, you must mail the packet to the State Department.

When Renewal by Mail Is Not Possible

In some cases, renewal by mail isn’t possible. You fall into this category if your old passport was lost, stolen or severely damaged. Also, if your last passport was issued more than 15 years earlier, or when you were under age 16, you can’t use mail renewal. Finally, if you’ve changed your name since you got your former passport, but you can’t document the change with a court order, no form DS-82 for you.

In these cases, you’ll have to go to the post office, or some other passport acceptance agency, to file a form DS-11. You’ll have to go through the entire process again, showing proof of your identity and citizenship, getting photos and signing under oath.

About the Author

Teo Spengler was born in central Alaska and has been traveling ever since. A freelance writer with an MA in English and MFA in Creative writing, she’s written travel pieces for S.F.Gate, Fairmont Hotels, IHS Hotels, Jet Blue, Choice Hotels, Women of Green, eHow, Arizona Central and USA Today, among others. She has lived one the East Coast and the West, as well as Mexico, Switzerland, Italy and France. She and currently splits her time between San Francisco and France’s Basque Country.

Leaf Group is a USA TODAY content partner providing general travel information. Its content is produced independently of USA TODAY.

Отправить ответ

Уведомление о